About Pre-Health Advising
The Health Professions Advising Office exists to advise students who are interested in entering a health profession. We assist students during all stages of preparation including, but not limited, to enhancing their educational experience, resources in order to seek health related experiences, and the application process. Students considering careers in these professions must excel academically and plan carefully. The information contained on this site is basic to starting toward a career in a health-care field. It is important that you read it and then visit the advising office (Hanes Hall, 2nd Floor - Check-In at 2nd Floor Front Desk) in person for complete information and answers to your questions.
Mrs. Resa Brinkley is UNC-Chapel Hill's Health Professions Advising Coordinator. With over 17 years of student services experience, Mrs. Brinkley previously worked for the University of Georgia Premedical Studies Program and has been actively involved in all aspects of an established health professions advising office including advising, recruiting, and general administration. She earned her master’s degree in public administration and her bachelor’s degree in journalism from The University of Georgia.
Appointments can be made through the UCS Online Appointment Scheduler or by calling the UCS Help Desk at (919) 962-6507.
The Prehealth Advising Office is open during normal University UCS hours.
The Health Professions Advising Office
We can provide information about any the field, and tell you about entrance requirements. We have literature and handouts designed to help you move forward in pursuit of your goals. We have information about options you may never have considered. Included in the information we provide is:
- required courses to become eligible to apply
- schools/programs available
- application procedures
- required entrance tests
- ...and much more
Information for All Pre-Professional Students
- The Volunteer Services Office of UNC Hospitals 919-966-4793 is located on the first floor of the Hospital. Registration is during the first week of each semester.
- Many worthwhile community service volunteer opportunities are available through the Campus Y 919-962-2333
- The Learning Center is an invaluable resource. Located in SASB, this department offers programs to enhance reading skills and study development
- Letters of Evaluation: There is no pre-medical committee at UNC-Chapel Hill, and our office does not write letters of recommendation for individual students. There are no other “officials” to write letters.
Letters are written by faculty who have had a first-hand opportunity to evaluate the student’s skills and abilities. You must get to know some faculty who have taught you so that they can write letters of recommendation when you apply to professional school.
For more information, please contact:
Resa K. Brinkley, MPA
Health Professions Advising Coordinator
University Career Services
The Wendy P. and Dean E. Painter Career Center
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Hanes Hall, Campus Box 5140
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-5140|
resa AT unc DOT edu
919.843.8838 Direct Line
919.962.6507 Help Desk