To find new opportunities that match your interests:
- Click “Job” > “All filters” > utilize any filters/keywords/location > “Show results” > view open positions > "Save your search"
- Filters to find relevant opportunities include location, accepts OPT/CPT, year in school, paid/unpaid and specific industry and job functions (use the provided drop-down menus).
- Graduate students can additionally select year in school (masters, PhD)
- By saving your search, you will receive email updates when new, relevant opportunities related to your search criteria become available.
By selecting to “follow” an employer you will be notified of any job/internship postings or events they add:
- Click “Jobs” > “Employers” > “Follow”
By doing this you will be notified any time an employer adds a posting, event, or makes a change.
The “Employer” section of Handshake also allows the option to filter based on areas such as location, company size, industry, etc. This can be a great way to learn about new, relevant employers you may not be familiar with.
Employers can also message you on Handshake, keep an eye on your messages for possible introductions and opportunities.
- Save time by uploading your resume to auto-fill your profile with content.
- Include a professional photo (similar to a LinkedIn photo).
- Set your profile to be visible to employers, making it easier for them to engage with you.
- Adding a short bio in the “My Journey” section of your profile will allow you to add more of your own voice and personality to your profile.
- Update the “Your Interests” section on your profile to indicate types of opportunities you’re looking for, location preferences, roles, etc.
To ensure you are getting the most out of Handshake and receiving targeted industry information including newsletters and program/event info, update your career interests in Handshake by:
- Selecting your name/picture at the top of the screen > “Career Interests” and indicating industries/job functions of interest.
By selecting Your Name > Notifications > Edit Notification Preferences you can make decisions about how you want Handshake to notify you of interview offers and other communications.