Cover letters express the interest and fit for the position applying. The process of constructing a targeted, thoughtful cover letter may feel time consuming, however the payoff is often well worth it.
Cover letters are usually 3-4 paragraphs in length, and should accomplish the following:
- Capture the recruiter's attention and help differentiate you from other candidates
- Identify the internship or job title for which you want to be considered
- Indicate how you learned about the position (e.g., University Career Services, employee referral, organization website, professional association)
- Highlight 1-3 qualifications that are related to the internship or job
- Demonstrate a sincere interest in a particular employer and position
When emailing a cover letter use it as the body of the email or attach it as a PDF document.
See sample cover letters in the Related File.
To ensure your cover letter is on target get it reviewed by scheduling an appointment with a counselor or coming in during walk in hours Monday-Friday 1-4pm.