Handshake is University Career Services’ online jobs and events management portal which includes job and internship postings, as well as details about scheduling 1:1 career coaching appointments, on-campus recruiting, career and graduate school info fairs, workshops, employer contact information, and more.
A valid Onyen is required to access Handshake.
How do I get a Handshake account?
Handshake is our online portal which includes job and internship postings, as well as details about scheduling 1:1 career coaching appointments, on-campus recruiting, career and graduate school info fairs, workshops, employer contact information, and more. Log in and complete your profile today! Please note, all students served by UCS have existing Handshake accounts which can be accessed when logging in with your ONYEN. Please do not attempt to create a new account.
Who gets a Handshake Account?
Current degree seeking students automatically receive access. Alumni that received a bachelors, masters, or doctorate degree maintain access to Handshake up to 6 months after graduation.
When do incoming students receive their Handshake accounts?
Degree seeking students will receive an account prior to the start of classes.
Tips for using Handshake
Using Handshake for Your Job/Internship Search
To find new opportunities that match your interests:
- Click “Job” > “All filters” > utilize any filters/keywords/location > “Show results” > view open positions > "Save your search"
- Filters to find relevant opportunities include location, accepts OPT/CPT, year in school, paid/unpaid and specific industry and job functions (use the provided drop-down menus).
- Graduate students can additionally select year in school (masters, PhD)
- By saving your search, you will receive email updates when new, relevant opportunities related to your search criteria become available.
Engaging with Employers on Handshake
By selecting to “follow” an employer you will be notified of any job/internship postings or events they add:
- Click “Jobs” > “Employers” > “Follow”
By doing this you will be notified any time an employer adds a posting, event, or makes a change.
The “Employer” section of Handshake also allows the option to filter based on areas such as location, company size, industry, etc. This can be a great way to learn about new, relevant employers you may not be familiar with.
Employers can also message you on Handshake, keep an eye on your messages for possible introductions and opportunities.
Your Handshake Profile
- Save time by uploading your resume to auto-fill your profile with content.
- Include a professional photo (similar to a LinkedIn photo).
- Set your profile to be visible to employers, making it easier for them to engage with you.
- Adding a short bio in the “My Journey” section of your profile will allow you to add more of your own voice and personality to your profile.
- Update the “Your Interests” section on your profile to indicate types of opportunities you’re looking for, location preferences, roles, etc.
Selecting Career Interests on Handshake
To ensure you are getting the most out of Handshake and receiving targeted industry information including newsletters and program/event info, update your career interests in Handshake:
- Select your name/picture at the top of the screen > “Career Interests” and indicate industries/job functions of interest.
By selecting Your Name > Notifications > Edit Notification Preferences you can make decisions about how you want Handshake to notify you of interview offers and other communications.