University Career Services looks forward to assisting employers in connecting with students and developing branding efforts on campus. There are a variety of ways to help your organization stand out and gain the attention of our students. Please see our UCS Employer Engagement Brochure to learn about the various ways your organization can get involved with University Career Services and/or Department-Based Career Offices. If you would like assistance or guidance with any of the services outlined below, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org to get connected with our External Relations Team.
Frequently Asked Questions
Snapshot of UNC Chapel Hill Students
Participating in Campus-wide Employer Events
UNC Chapel Hill has a main campus career office (University Career Services) that serves all students with a few exceptions (MBA, Law, Medical, and Dental). Several schools/departments have their own career services staff to serve the unique needs of their students. Please see our UCS Employer Engagement Brochure (above) to learn about the various ways your organization can get involved with University Career Services and/or Department-Based Career Offices. Connect with the appropriate Career and Employer Consultant in the departments that align with your campus recruitment strategy for more details on employer events they host.
Career, Graduate Education, and Networking Events
University Career Services sponsors a number of recruitment events throughout the year that allow your organization to maximize its ability to meet a high volume of students in settings where students usually gather. Our strategy is to “meet students where they are” in targeted places across campus.
On-Campus Student Recruitment & Employer Branding Initiatives
What is On-Campus Recruiting (OCR)? OCR are activities designed to connect employers and students for recruitment opportunities. UCS offers the following opportunities to employers desiring initial recruitment conversations in-person. Employers wanting to integrate virtual recruitment options still have the option to post them on Handshake.
- Company Information Sessions in the Student Union
- Fairs (Career, Graduate Education, and Networking)
- On-Campus Interviews on Hanes Hall 4th Floor
- Tabling on Hanes Hall 2nd Floor or the Student Union Lobby from 9 am-12 pm OR 1-5 pm (if weather permits, option for tabling outside of Hanes) – for more information contact our Director of External Relations, Marketing, and Analytics, Roderick Lewis
Employers participating in on-campus recruitment events will have to commit to our four student connection modalities: 1) Face-to-Face at the event, 2) 15-minute Virtual Chat Tool on Handshake Job Postings, 3) Direct Messaging Tool on Handshake Job Postings, and 4) Applications to Handshake Job Postings.
UCS promotes the following opportunities to employers that offer local, national, and international in-person job opportunities. or virtual. Employers wanting to integrate virtual jobs still have the option to post them on Handshake.
- Part-Time Jobs with NC Triangle companies in Fall, Summer, and Spring
- Academic Internships with NC Triangle companies in Fall and Spring Semesters
- Summer Internships and Full-time Jobs with companies anywhere
On-Campus Student Career Development & Employer Branding Initiatives
In addition to OCR opportunities, University Career Services (UCS) also offers non-OCR opportunities designed to involve your company in our student career development initiatives which are excellent for growing your company’s brand and visibility on-campus. Non-OCR activities are not recruitment-oriented as their primary purpose is student career development with the support of our employer partners. However, they indirectly provide the following benefits:
- Increased awareness of employer brand and recruitment opportunities from students, staff, and faculty
- Potential for students to refer your company to friends in their personal network
- Expanded network with students holding favorable views of your company who can be net promoters
- Potential interest and applications from students who did not previously consider your company
UCS offers the following opportunities to employers desiring to help students become career ready.
- Industry Meetup Snack & Chats – this "Snack and Chat" Industry Meetup series will facilitate opportunities for students to drop-in for career exploration conversations or recruitment-oriented conversations.
- Recruiters-in-Residence – these sessions will be an opportunity for you to connect directly with UNC students to answer questions about your company/industry and an opportunity to network.
- Mock Interviews – this is an opportunity to do practice interviews that allow for constructive feedback with UNC students.
Beginning AY22/23, we started offering certificates through the “UCS Employability Enhancement Programs” to help students gain the necessary employability skills and NACE Career Readiness Competencies to be ready for challenges in the workplace. These services are available for all majors – and are especially beneficial for students in interdisciplinary liberal arts majors.
North Carolina Association of Colleges and Employers
NCACE brings together all facets of business, industrial, governmental and post-secondary level educational institutions within North Carolina with the goal of economic growth, employment and professional development.