Banking & Finance Industries
Description of these Industries
- The Banking industry includes systems of financial institutions called banks that help people store and use their money. Banks offer clients the opportunity to open accounts for different purposes, like saving or investing their money. The banking industry is also valuable to the economy, as it provides resources for individuals, families, and organizations to use for transactions and investments. One way the banking industry does this is by organizing and distributing loans for applicants that they can use for purposes like purchasing property, starting a business, or financing a college education.
- The Finance industry is a section of the economy made up of firms and institutions that provide financial services to commercial and retail customers. This sector comprises a broad range of industries including banks, investment companies, insurance companies, and real estate firms.
Here are some typical skills that are recommended within the Banking/Finance Industry:
- Team management skills
- Communication skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Customer service skills
- Emotional intelligence skills
- Numeracy skills
- Teamwork skills
- Organization skills
- Time management skills
- Leadership skills
- Accounting skills
- Analytical thinking skills
- Financial decision-making skills
- Management skills
- Financial reporting skills
- Communication skills
- Investing skills
Here are career opportunities related to the Internet/Software/Hi-Tech industry. You can explore other career opportunities at O*Net Online. O*Net Online is a tool for career exploration and job analysis. Additionally, you can find more career opportunities using FirstHand or Heels Engage Network.
- Financial Analyst
- Personal Financial Advisor
- Financial Manager
- Accountants and Auditors
- Loan Officer
- Bill and Account Collectors
- Bank Teller
- Treasurers and Controllers
- Investment Fund Managers
- Credit Analysts
This is a list of some of the professional associations within these industries.
- American Bankers Association
- American Finance Association
- Accounting & Financial Women's Alliance
- Association for Financial Professionals, Inc.
- Consumer Bankers Association
- National Bankers Association
- Fiduciary & Investment Risk Management Association
- Mortgage Bankers Association of America
- National Investment Banking Association
Here is a list of some of the Student Clubs at UNC - Chapel Hill that relate to this industry, You can find more Student Clubs on Heel Life. Heel Life is a platform that students can use to find others with similar hobbies, interests, or talents. This can be used to explore personal and intellectual interests, and embrace your passions.
Here is a list of recent alumni you can reach out to network with.
- Arnoluck Prachith (Class of 2019) - Recruitment Coordinator at Apex Fintech Solutions
- Kristina Kongamy (Class of 2017) - Internship Recruiter at Ally
Additionally, you can find more alumni contacts using the Heels Engage Network.
Here are some examples of companies within these industries. You can find more companies within these industries on Handshake. Each company is hyperlinked and takes you to their Handshake profile. This will be an opportunity for you to learn more about their company and/or connect with them.